I’d say this makes about 1/2 gallon of salsa – make sure you have Tupperware. I’m sure you could probably freeze extras… I make the recipe so big because of the size of the cilantro bunch and the size of a typical onion.
- 2 large (28oz) cans Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (I say this brand because they have the fire-roasted kind. Get them in the organic/natural foods section of a store like HyVee)
- 2 (7oz) cans Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce, from the salsa/hispanic foods isle
- 1 Large onion
- 1 Bunch fresh cilantro
- 4 Cloves garlic
- Lemon or lime juice to taste
- Salt to taste
PLUS - a gallon of milk to wash it down - this stuff is spicy! But, if you don’t do two cans of peppers I don’t think you’d get the strong smoky flavor.
- Peel the onion and chop it into quarters or eights, peel the garlic and chop off the ends, and rinse the cilantro and cut the bulk of the stems off (I just cut the tied part off and put the rest straight into the food processor).
- Put onion, garlic and cilantro into the food processor and chop until very fine. Empty into a large mixing bowl. (don’t breathe deeply over the bowl!)
- Put 2 cans chipotle peppers and one can tomato into the food processor and blend until smooth. Empty into the bowl.
- Put the final can of tomatoes into the food processor with a couple tablespoons lime juice and blend just a bit, leaving some slightly bigger chunks. Mix into the bowl and adjust lime and salt to taste.